Most interstate and international students rent a property or move into a share house while living in Canberra.
Here are some key factors to consider:
- Do your research and view listings on rental/share-house accommodation sites (see below)
- factor the property’s location, distance to UNSW Canberra, transport and other amenities you may need
- ensure your budget is adequate to cover rental bond, furnishing, appliances, food, utilities, telecommunication (phone and internet) and other necessities
- be sure to understand and sign a Residential Tenancy Agreement or a Share Housing Agreement
- understand you are committed to the property for the duration, as listed in the agreement
- now your responsibilities and commitments, including any gardening and domestic duties in a share house
- do not sign an agreement or pay any money before you have inspected the property
- take a friend with you to inspect the property and be presentable for the inspection
- it is likely there is an application process to provide your credentials and to register your interest in the property
- not all properties are available immediately – check when you can move in
- beware of scams.
Rental/share house accommodation sites
The following are some commercial rental/share house sites for your reference. Please note this does not indicate the university’s endorsement of these organisations.
Once you’re ready to make the move, browse transport options here.