International Students

Over 250 international students are currently enrolled in research programs at UNSW Canberra, find out how you could become one of them.

Gain an internationally recognised degree from a top-ranking institution that will take your career higher and open professional doors wherever you are in the world.

Find overseas representation in your country

We have a global network of official education representatives to assist you with your application to study at UNSW Canberra.

Visas & Immigration

In order to study in Australia you must have a valid visa that covers you for the duration of your degree. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is responsible for issuing student visas to Australia. For more information please see DIBP student visa application guide.

DIBP assess student visa application by one of the following arrangements:

  • Streamlined visa processing arrangements (SVP)[S1] 

UNSW is an approved participant in these arrangements, which means if you lodge your application with your Confirmation of Enrolment from UNSW the DIBP will assess you as though you are a lower migration risk, regardless of your country of origin.

If you are studying one of the following programs you will be assessed against this arrangement;

Bachelor degree (2 plus 2or 3 plus 1 degree program arrangements)     

Masters degree

Doctoral degree

Exchange program

Study Abroad program

English language and/or foundation and other preparatory packaged courses.

In order to apply under the streamlined visa processing arrangement, you must have enrolled and received your Confirmation of Enrolment, as you will need to submit your Confirmation of Enrolment when applying.

  • Assessment arrangements

If you are not eligible for the streamlined processing arrangements your application will be assessed against the DIBP assessment level arrangements. Your assessment level is determined by your student visa subclass and passport country. The higher the assessment level, the greater the evidence you are required to demonstrate to support your claims for a student visa.

Once your visa is issued there are conditions that you will need to meet. Failure to do so may result in your visa being cancelled.

International students must be able to meet the English Language requirements set by The University of New South Wales. If applicants have not undertaken secondary schooling or completed a degree where English was the primary language, they will be required to provide proof of their competency in English by presenting acceptable results from a recognised testing centre within a two year period.